This scheme involved replacing and upgrading the VRS along the A3102 Great Western Way dual carriageway between Mannington roundabout and Blagrove roundabout in Swindon, Wiltshire, to improve driver safety. R&W delivered this scheme as Principal Contractor and our scope of works comprised:
● Installation of a new central reservation barrier along the A3102
● Improvements to the existing nearside barriers
● Relocating traffic signs, traffic signal poles and street lighting columns further back from the edge of the carriageway to improve driver visibility and safety
There were numerous existing services where the new VRS was to be installed, including HV and LV cables and a medium pressure gas main. We implemented ‘no dig’ exclusion zones around these locations and used our Vac-Ex (vacuum extraction) equipment to safely excavate around services, and install concrete foundations for the posts. In addition, the central reservation had an unknown existing filter drain within the work area, so we mitigated this through offsetting the VRS to avoid clashes.
We implemented lane closures and a 30mph speed limit on the A3102 while we carried out the works. To maximise the use of road space, we collaborated with the Council to enable them to use our TM to repair broken manhole and gully covers and to clear out the existing gully pots that were full.
● We appointed one apprentice to the scheme
● Our team carried out a litter pick of the centre reservation
● We also supplied Wiltshire wildlife trust with a £1000 of trees, plants, and seeds